Pages

Monday, 3 October 2011

Exhibition Opening

After work, last Wednesday evening, I went to the opening exhibition of Standard Bank's young Artist for 2011, Nandipha Mntambo, titled Faena. She uses cow hide as a medium mostly, and her work is an on going exploration of gender, power, animality and humanity.

Since I came directly from work, I wore a cream jersey with an embellished pearl collar that I love; and pearl earrings are my favourite everyday accessory. I tucked this into my 'go to' work pants- it has a very wide leg and made from a fine linen material- which I got from Ackermans! They are also really long so you that you can't actually see that I am  wearing heels.





 


Top: Truworths
Pants: Ackermans
Shoes: Oxygen
Earrings: NWJ Jewellers 





The exhibition titled Faena, is at the Iziko Gallery in Cape Town. 'Faena' is a Catalan word which refers to the dramatic finale of the traditional Spanish bullfight. Mntambo's work here, alludes to the Paso Doble,  a traditional dance where two dancers, male as matador and female as matador's cape, enact the bullfight. She recreates the dance with two females  instead, who perform both roles, inverting ones perception of what is normal. The images below show the sculptures she created from cow hide, depicting the female dancers movement and form.


Images from Design Indaba website



*Sasha



3 comments:

  1. Gorgeous outfit!! the pants look really great on you!:)

    xx

    ReplyDelete
  2. love your pants! you look great! :)

    "I'm giving away a giant shopper, shoes and chocolates from Paisley Clothing! Visit my blog to enter. Good Luck!"

    ReplyDelete
  3. such a gorgeous girl. you look so polished!

    xo

    Bang & Buck

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...