Pages

Monday, 24 October 2011

Personal Take: What we splurge on...

As promised, today we will be showing you the things we splurge on, love to collect and that keep us inspired. Enjoy!

JILL:

Fetishes, in my opinion, are fostered through some sort of inspiration whether it be a person or an external influence. I can definitely attribute my shoe fetish to my mother's influence. She illustrates her love for shoes through the pigeon hole shelves which she designed as a display in a room in our house. I have adopted this love, and although I do occupy some of her slots, I have positioned my shoe display on built in shelves in my dressing room.

Earlier this year, I went to watch a show entitled "Love, Loss and What I Wore," at the Theatre on the Bay in Cape Town. With regards to this post, the show reiterated how we as women are molded by our mothers whether we are proud to admit it or not. Our mothers play an extremely influential role in our lives, as much as the memory of what we wore does. 


Space is a sensitive issue when it comes to women, as we rarely ever have enough. Due to limitations, I place the most frequently worn as well as my favourites on these shelves.


The Favourite Pair:
This spontaneous buy is what fostered my love for chunky heels. It incorporated two of my hottest summer season requirements, namely; the colour tan and chunky heels. 


The Most Colourful Pair:
If  the style of the shoe doesn't convince me, the colours definitely will. The more unpractical the colour is, the more I seem drawn to the pair of shoes. It just gives me another reason to expand my wardrobe. 



The Classic Pair:
Every women needs not only a LBD (Little Black Dress) but classic black stilettos too. These are  essential with regards to work wear, cocktail parties and basically all events. Even myself, who is predominantly obsessed with colour, insist on having a great pair of black stilettos in my collection. 




The Most Unconventional Pair:
I must admit that I do not follow trends, it simply comes down to personal preference. I haven't taken a liking to gladiator style shoes, but this warped adaptation caugh my eye. The combination of denim, wooden heels and the tan colour won my heart. 


Shoes are definitely one of the major weaknesses I have, there are more... When deciding on what to wear, I don't pick clothing first, but rather shoes. That's just my personal take.


SASHA:



 

Yes, I spend excessive amounts of money on magazines, mostly fashion magazines. Yes, I might have a problem; I am a magazine junkie, I am admitting it. And yes, I am running out of space...

As I am writing this post, the November issue of UK Elle is next to me. I have just received it and Emma Watson is on the cover. They are saying she is the new muse on fashion, fame and the future...what is that all about? But I have put off reading it, until I have tried to make some sense of what my fascination is with fashion magazines. Here goes...

From as young as I can remember I read anything I could get my hands on, and besides books, alot of the time I was devouring my mom's magazines. I would also get stacks of international magazines, like UK Vogue, Harpers Bazaar, USA Glamour and Elle, from a family member who worked for the South African airlines. Then I began collecting them, pulling out articles I wanted to keep, cutting them up, sketching from them and collaging my favourite pictures. And when I was old enough to buy my own,  I became a dedicated reader of both South African Elle and Marie Claire, and UK Vogue and Elle. I don't use the magazines to plan my wardrobe, I use them for inspiration. I am also not an avid follower of trends, but I love to see new creative ways of thinking and in some ways what I have worn has been influenced by what I have seen. Below are images of some my favourite covers, issues and editorials of this year:
 

The Prettiest Cover
SA Marie Claire, September
Sarah Jessica Parker making a slouchy white t-shirt and pretty pink ruffled skirt look gorgeous

On my Bookcase
All of the books and notebooks I keep on hand that keep me sane, make me smile and provide me with inspiration.

Inspiration collage April
Channeling YSL:
Vampy red lips, full satin skirts, leather biker jacket, hot red coat, animal print scarf, white shirts, a litttle black dress, black heeled court shoes

  Inspiration collage May
Modern classics vs urban grunge:
Black trench,  black velvet ballet pumps, woollen snoods, animal print tops, mustard over-sized cardigans, natural and brown coloured shadows

Inspiration collage March
Fresh blossom:
Peter pan coloured shirt, pretty chiffon tops, tailored shorts, pink blusher, nude and wooden heels, cameo brooches, black framed wayfarer spectacles

Inspiration collage September
Colour splash:
Bright and bold lipsticks, bright cocktail dress, introducing more yellow and blue to the closet, deconstructed shirts

 The Favorite Issue
Uk Vogue, May
The Wedding Issue (need I say more)

 The Favourite Cover
 SA Elle, September 
The bright, bold text and the fact that Zoe Kravitz was on the cover.

The Coolest issue
 SA Elle, October
The issue to celebrate curves, the divine Adriana Lima and the coolest swimwear for this Summer.


These towering stacks serve as a great place to store things on top...and I have created a shelf/seat with them. If you know sites with great ways to store and display magazines, please forward them to me.

What are some of your guilty pleasures or splurges? Share them with us.

*Jill and Sasha



4 comments:

  1. I have to say sneakers, I have a huge collection, all of them ordered from U.S.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh my goodness, I too have a bit of an obsession with fashion mags!! They are quite addictive! haha:)
    xx

    ReplyDelete
  3. Droooool! I love all these shoes! xx

    ReplyDelete
  4. you are so lucky you have the Adriana lima ELLE please post the scans please

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...