Pages

Wednesday, 9 November 2011

Personal Take: Converse All Stars



SASHA:

I have been out of the blogosphere for a bit- because deadlines and life- but now I am really glad to be back! A big thank you to Jill, who took over for the past few days and I am still quite sad I missed out on the Positive Heroes Fashion Show. It looked amazing!

We were inspired for today's post by the stylish guys behind Street Etiquette and their post about canvas sneakers (see more here). I love how they go into sartorial detail with all their outfit posts and even give brief histories on featured items. And since almost everyone owns a pair and wears it their own way, we are dedicating today's post to the Converse All Stars Classic: Chuck Taylors. Here is a short part on the history of Chuck Taylor's taken from their post:

Marquis Converse produced the first shoe made just for basketball, called Converse All-Stars. In 1923, an Indiana hoops star named Chuck Taylor endorsed the shoes, and they became known as Chuck Taylor All-Stars. These are the best-selling basketball shoes of all time.”

I own only one pair of Chuck Taylor's, in white. I have washed them once- even though there is an unwritten rule to never wash them, I had to. I wore them on a trip to Mozambique and they were caked in red mud and dirt. Only when this pair has fallen apart will I get another!

I sported them with a long cardigan and long skirt- there are just days when comfort comes first- on my way to the Freeworld Design Centre's Design for Food opening exhibition. I cannot wait to try out a food and film evening there too (details to follow soon). !




 


Tops: Jay Jays and Mr Price
Cardigan: Jay Jays
Skirt: Edgars
Shoes:Street
Clutch: Legit
Necklaces: Tinsel and YDE


JILL:

Convese All Stars are my ultimate favourite brand of sneakers, so when Sasha suggested we add a post, the only problem I had was deciding which pair to sport. I decided on the purple pair, not because purple is the hottest colour on my list right now, but because these were the first pair my sneaker-head boyfriend basically forced me to buy. I always liked Converse canvas sneakers compared to other brands, but had never bought a pair for myself up untill recent years. And now, as my character would have it, I have several pairs in variants of colour.



Ok, I know I should change the style of my laces...or beta yet the colour?Maybe a royal blue or cherise pink? Colour combinations offer a cool edge.




For me, versatility and functionality is imperative with regards to clothing purchases. With regards to this, the main reason I fell in love with Converse was simply because of the JT look (as well as Paul Walker). Justin Timberlake made it look beyond stylish. A pair of jeans, a t-shirt, a blazer and a classic pair of black All Stars. The classic black pair have definitly been on my shopping list for a while - will have to get to it in 2012.




Converse is simply timeless and regardless of your age does not date and it adds charcater and youthfulness. I love how a dress style does not exclude that of Converse. It makes a statement to wear a pair of All Stars to a black tie event with a suit, and looks great at the same time.

What I love most about Converse is that the more worn in and grubby it looks, the more appealing it seems I can't say the same thing about Supergas though.



 

Top: Legit
Shirt: Aca Joe
Shorts: Mr Price
Tights: Woolworths
Earrings: Mr Price
Pendant: Divas




So the question is:
How do you wear your Converse?
*Jill and Sasha

1 comment:

  1. Sasha I love your outfit so much, that skirt rocks.
    And Jill, like always, look glam :).

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...